Tuesday, 8 June 2010
Their bootmarks are all over the place!
David Cameron yesterday heralded “painful” spending cuts affecting the lifestyles of everyone in Britain over the coming years.
And in his speech in Milton Keynes he said:
“Our economy has become more and more unbalanced, with our fortunes hitched to a few industries in one corner of the country, while we let other sectors like manufacturing slide.
It has become over-reliant on welfare, with mass worklessness accepted as a fact of life and around five million people now on out-of-work benefits. It has become increasingly hostile to enterprise, with business investment in the past decade growing at around one per cent each year – only a quarter of what it was the decade before. It has become far too dependent on the public sector, with over half of all jobs created in the last ten years associated in some way with public spending.”
These were the opening sentences of a speech that clearly blamed working people in their communities for the crisis of capitalism, and what incomprehensible gobbledegook to suggest that manufacturing industry was allowed to slide; when in fact in 1979 Thatcher claimed that the economy was overmanned and inefficient. Her aim was to let the competitive pressures of the free market regenerate British capitalism. So let’s look at one example of her legacy then: In the 1980s Thatcher took on the steel unions blaming them for upsetting business. Excessive wages for insufficient output make British products uncompetitive on the international market, she said.
She brought in the Employment Act of 1982 to constrict the privileges and freedoms the unions once had in protecting their members.
Once one of the great successes of the industrial revolution, Sheffield has now become a prime example of British economic decline. A tourist visiting Sheffield some 250 years after the development of steel making in the city would wonder why it is called steel city.
So when the likes of Cameron and the ruling class talk of decline and slide, let's just remember that their bootmarks are all over the place!
- ► 2008 (112)
- ► 2009 (208)
- This oil spill isn't just an ecological disaster -...
- Take to the streets this coming weekend and do thr...
- Without delay or hesitation end the blockade of Ga...
- Action we need!
- Viva Palestina - We shall Overcome!
- Their bootmarks are all over the place!
- What did John McDonnell say that was wrong – absol...
- We say reject "Labour", Tories and the Liberals?
- Leadership extravaganza?
- Off-Side at the World Cup
- We’re all in it together!
- The 'key' to success in Afganistan - $1 trillion i...
- London Crime Capital of World Finance and Unemploy...
- Return of the Chingford Skinhead (Part 1)
- Return of the Chingford Skinhead (Part 2)
- Return of the Chingford Skinhead (Part 3)
- A full English breakfast the Budget and when Labou...
- Return of the Chingford Skinhead (Part 4)
- The Anniversary Waltz in triple time with a strong...
- ▼ June 2010 (20)
- ► 2011 (200)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2015 (21)