London’s east end, poverty has never completely disappeared as I’ve tried to highlight in posts now and again.
Constant and alphabet soup like in nature, the pace of change seems to have stepped up a gear or so recently, of course the city prepares for the Olympics, a non event in my book, sold as a complete pack of lies its so-called benefits to our community, and I have yet to see any. What I do see is luxury apartments shooting up everywhere for the rich and well off as they begin to move into an area occupied for centuries by the working class poor.
Many new apartments have been created or rather converted out of the old storage warehouses and factories that were once connected to the London Docks, the Docks serviced by the working class poor who made their homes in slums and hovels whilst the rich looked the other way when they were starving and trying to get by on the poverty pay, many died in that fight to survive but they never gave up. One weapon that was used in the fight for survival was the establishment of the cooperative movement that provided many cheap retail services to the working class. Now without the need of a history lesson here, the cooperative movement was untenable to capitalism and over a long period of time it set about dismantling and acquiring its assets, a good example of this would be the latest development to spring up in Whitechapel. Apartments in the luxury Sugar House start from £485,000 and go up to more than £1m for the penthouse pads. The gorgeous stone-carved grade II-listed building at 99 Leman Street was the Co-operative's headquarters in the late 1800s, and proving that Whitechapel is no longer as cheap as the Monopoly Game suggests (£60)
For Your Sunday treat I've found some wonderful and extraordinarily old photographs of old East London hope you enjoy them:
- ► 2008 (112)
- ► 2009 (208)
- The Green... Green... Workbenches of Westminster.....
- Save Dad's Job Please!
- The Magic Roundabout
- Strangeway Prison Riot
- The Monopoly Game
- We are heading into the unknown
- Have you got a light boy!
- Working for nothing after 13 years of New Labour
- The bankers lied!
- Newspapers Jon Venables and knife crime?
- filthy rich and happy...
- Unemployment is a time bomb awaiting to go off!
- Educate Agitate and Organise!
- In your face David Cameron
- up-to-date report on the cabin (BA) crew dispute
- Air Pollution Killing Thousands...
- Disabled people wrongly denied benefits by New Lab...
- what goes round comes round for Murdoch!
- Bloggers never on their own!
- Fuel protest threat looms over general election!
- ▼ March 2010 (20)
- ► 2011 (200)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2015 (21)