Monday, 3 August 2009
A Billion Reasons For Socialism
There are many reasons why socialists want a complete change in the basis of society. Why we want a new society based on common ownership and production solely for use.
Today we have poverty amidst plenty, international rivalry leading to wars, the destruction of the planet because of the profit motive - the list goes on and on. The following statistics though are probably the most compelling of all.
"One billion people throughout the world suffer from hunger, a figure which has increased by 100 million because of the global financial crisis, says the UN. The UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said the figure was a record high. Persistently high food prices have also contributed to the hunger crisis.
The director general of the FAO said the level of hunger, one-sixth of the world's population, posed a ‘serious risk’ to world peace and security. The UN said almost all of the world's undernourished live in developing countries, with the most, some 642 million people, living in the Asia-Pacific region." (BBC News, 20 June) We live in a society that destroys food to keep up prices while people die of starvation Never mind the statistics, a kid is dying today because of the profit motive. Get up off your knees and organise for a world based on production solely for use. We owe it to the world's children.
Sorry: The Socialist Standard
- ► 2008 (112)
- War cost-plus!
- A Billion Reasons For Socialism
- There are limits to what Trade Union action can ac...
- somewhere over the rainbow!
- Off the Record
- Unemployment up in the Eurozone
- ‘Poverty Over’
- 'Little Boy'
- “organised murder, and nothing less.”
- Milk Bottles
- What is?
- The Coming Week
- “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?”
- full force of this recession = unemployment!
- My Mum The 'Governor'
- An unstable crises in housing!'
- Next week London protest camp!
- No light at the end of the tunnel!
- Over here...Over there
- The tragic future of housing
- Well I think that we can safely assume that what ...
- MORE than 30 people have been nominated to repl...
- "A person who stands under someone else's roof mus...
- Union for the Unemployed
- Sand castles in the sky?
- Workers battles of the last week
- Passing Thoughts
- Bitterness destroys, but laughter lifts you!
- ▼ August 2009 (29)
- ► 2010 (227)
- ► 2011 (200)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2015 (21)