Friday, 17 July 2009
The way to do it!
Officials in China have reportedly been told to puff their way through five and a half million cigarettes a year.
Staff at local government offices in Hubei province were given the order in a move intended to set an example for the rest of the nation, according to state media.
And if they fail to smoke their way through 330,000 packs of locally-produced cigarettes, the officials could face fines.
Brands such as Huanghelou have been earmarked as part of the official quota.
"The regulation will boost the local economy via the cigarette tax," local official Chen Nianzu told the Global Times.
The measure may also be a ploy to boost sales of local cigarette brands, under pressure from competitors in neighbouring Hunan province.
Some 450 million Chinese — including more than half of all male doctors — currently smoke.
- ► 2008 (112)
- "Oops there goes another rubber tree plant"
- The police out of control?
- I want your vote
- Cancer and heart disease
- Space the final frontier!
- Stopped laughing
- Too Much!
- A Work Of Art?
- women wailed
- Welcome to Scunthorpe
- "Here come the Robots?
- Workers will have to work longer!
- Bring on the Squatters
- Where Have all the Soldiers Gone?
- liquorice all sorts
- Unemployment Up!
- It's a "world" rising tide of social misery
- 'This Morning'
- The way to do it!
- one of the lucky one's!
- The police have amoiist!
- "Imprecatory Prayer"
- The Iranian ruling class - fall out!
- Same old....Same Old....
- Big Issue's not for the Rich and Famous
- Close your eyes and it will all disappear!
- Last Post
- Night Riders
- Housing or profit?
- What on the Pavement
- Kilmarnock protestations !
- 'unique transparent and universal'
- three for the weekend
- Santander it's the only bank in town!
- The oppressor of the young free thinker!
- ▼ July 2009 (35)
- ► 2010 (227)
- ► 2011 (200)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2015 (21)