Saturday, 25 July 2009
Last week I commented on the the passing of world War 1 solder the late Henry Allingham. It was sadly announced today that Harry Patch, known as the last Tommy passed away at his care home age 111.
The death of both veteran soldiers within a week of each other; brings to a close the lives of the last two British survivors of the conflict known as the Great War.
And as expected the Queen, her offspring son Charles the Prime Minister and countless others have scrambled all, to make some sort of statement to mark an old man's passing.
The Queen said: “We will never forget the bravery and enormous sacrifice of his generation, which will continue to serve as an example to us all.”
The Prime Minister said: “The noblest of all the generations has left us, but they will never be forgotten.”
But I prefer to take notice of what Harry Patch said a few years ago about the sheer powerlessness of the common man caught up in war!
"Why should the British government call me up and take me out to a battlefield to shoot a man I never knew, whose language I couldn’t speak? All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that, but still we send our lads to war. In Iraq, our young men are being killed and told to kill."
- ► 2008 (112)
- "Oops there goes another rubber tree plant"
- The police out of control?
- I want your vote
- Cancer and heart disease
- Space the final frontier!
- Stopped laughing
- Too Much!
- A Work Of Art?
- women wailed
- Welcome to Scunthorpe
- "Here come the Robots?
- Workers will have to work longer!
- Bring on the Squatters
- Where Have all the Soldiers Gone?
- liquorice all sorts
- Unemployment Up!
- It's a "world" rising tide of social misery
- 'This Morning'
- The way to do it!
- one of the lucky one's!
- The police have amoiist!
- "Imprecatory Prayer"
- The Iranian ruling class - fall out!
- Same old....Same Old....
- Big Issue's not for the Rich and Famous
- Close your eyes and it will all disappear!
- Last Post
- Night Riders
- Housing or profit?
- What on the Pavement
- Kilmarnock protestations !
- 'unique transparent and universal'
- three for the weekend
- Santander it's the only bank in town!
- The oppressor of the young free thinker!
- ▼ July 2009 (35)
- ► 2010 (227)
- ► 2011 (200)
- ► 2013 (120)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2015 (21)